Unless noted otherwise, most events are held at Event Horizon, our community center in the Waterbury Building (intersection of Central and Broadway) in NE Minneapolis, at 1121 Jackson St NE. We have a Main Hall (room 107), Classroom (room 106A), and Living Room (room 106).
Parking is on the east side of the building, enter door 1121C.
Taking the bus? Got to the Metrotransit website and map to the intersection for Central Avenue NE and Broadway St NE. Routes 10 and 17 are the closest.
Spring is waffling. As we got ready to send the newsletter, the rain turned fluffy. Once again, it’s a busy month, and groups are ramping up for conventions and events, so read closely.
The Team Trivia Challenge has come and gone, and this year Cinema Rex has taken back the title! Congratulations! Thanks to Fantasy Flight Game Center for sponsoring the event, and to Half-Price Books Roseville, The Source Comics & Games, and DreamHaven Books for donating to the prize bags.
Facilities work April 23-28 - Facilities big project this April is DONE. Come on down and see the pretty carpeting and new paint.
WE ARE IN THE PARADE! We got notification from Twin Cities Pride Festival that our entry to join the Sunday parade has been accepted! Michelle Clarke has volunteered to coordinate the parade segment. For questions please email Pride@geekpartnership.org.
FUNDRAISING: Auction Donations Are Being Accepted
We’ve got upcoming auctions at both CONsole Room (the Doctor Who convention) and CONvergence (this year’s theme is dystopia). We’ll be taking donations at CVG concom meetings, and can make arrangements to take them at the center. If you plan on delivering your donation to a convention, we’ll be taking them Friday and Saturday at CONsole Room, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at CONvergence. Please complete the our Donation Online Submission Form so we can arrange delivery and have the bid sheet for your item ready.
May 17 | Election/Open Forum – Reminder that elections are in May. Three director positions with 2 year terms and one with 1 year (due to mid year appointment) are up, with 2 incumbents. Check out the Board Elections page for more information. To be eligible for voting you need to have done 20 hours of volunteering the previous year. If you would like more information, please contact the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This month for GPS
May 9 | 6pm – 11:30pm | GPS Movie Night – Desert Dystopia Marathon and Cosplay Event
- It all starts when a vengeful Australian policeman by the name of Max Rockatansky sets out to avenge his partner, his wife and his son.
- He Rules the Roads.
- Then, in a post-apocalyptic Australian wasteland, a cynical drifter agrees to help a small, gasoline rich, community escape a band of bandits.
- In the Future, Cities Will Become Deserts, Roads Will Become Battelfields and the Hope of Mankind will Appear as a Stranger.
- And, finally, a former Australian policeman is rescued by a tribe of children when he is banished from a desert town and sent into the desert to die by the desert town’s evil queen.
- Two Men Enter. One Man Leaves.
May 15-17 | Art-A-Whirl @ GPS Geeky artists and crafters, kids crafts, and the Hack Factory are back again this year at the world’s only geek community center (that we know of). Saturday & Sunday – Kids Crafts from 12:00-3:00 p.m.
- Friday 5pm – 10pm
- Saturday noon – 8pm
- Sunday noon – 5pm
VENDOR SPACE AVAILABLE & VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Setting up, hosting, tearing down. Go online Volunteer Sign Up. We’ll need folk to help with set up on Friday (starting noonish) and teardown on Sunday after 5pm, staff the merchandise table all 3 days, some wandering hosts to help around the building, Crafty Geek folk to help with the kids program from noon to 3 on Saturday and Sunday, and greeters to answer questions and talk about all we do.
Email email@example.com to volunteer or apply for a table in our vendor space.
Upcoming for GPS
- June 13 – GPS Annual Picnic
- June 27-28 - Geeks@Pride, now with PARADE!
- July 2-5 – GPS @ CONvergence – Party Cabana, Charity Auction, Programming
- August 1 – GPS Ice Cream Social
Club News (alphabetical by club)
Black Hat Collective
Make It Sew (part of Crafty Geek)
All meetings will take place at Event Horizon room 106 unless otherwise noted. Remember to bring in any books you feel like donating to the lending library.
GPS Photography Club
Come to network, hear readings from works in progress, swap story critiques, and talk shop. Our members range from those just starting out to established authors with multiple book contracts. Follow the event links to RSVP (some meetups have a limited number of spaces open) and get details on locations and updates from organizers.
- Using Critique – How you can integrate critique into your writing process.
- Providing Critique – How you can provide useful critique to others.
- Critique Groups – Different kinds of crit groups, and how they work.
Lunds Market Uptown.
May 3 | 2pm | May Crit Group
Read the Book/See the Movie
- Open Gaming | 1st & 3rd Saturday, May 2 & 18 | 10 am – 10 pm in room 107 May 2
- Artemis – May-Day, May-Day, Game-Day! | May 2 10 am – 10 pm in room 106A
- RPG Gaming | Sundays after Open Gaming, May 3 & 19 | 12 pm – 8 pm in 106A May 3
- Designers Sessions | Tue Apr 28, May 26 in 106A / Fri May 8 in 106 - These are a series of meetings for game designers of all stripes to come together for discussion and testing/playing games.
- FSA BattleTech Tabletop | Fri May 1 – Fallout Shelter Arcade has set up a tabletop game night first Fridays with U.G.G. in mind. Beginner friendly, check out the meetup link.
- Crafty Gamers | Thu May 15 | 7:00 PM -
Operations / Radio Trainings Are you going to use a radio at CONvergence? Do you want to use a radio at CONvergence? Come learn all about the voices as we cover policies, procedures, and practice scenarios. All interested volunteers are invited to attend, and remember that radio training is mandatory in order to have radio use at the convention.
- Fri May 1, 6:30-8 in 106A CANCELLED
- Sat May 9 11:30-1 106 A overview & radio training only
- Sat May 23 12:00-2:30 107 – includes scenario training
- Thu June 4 6:00-8:30 107 – includes scenario training
- Tue June 23 6:00-8:30 107 – includes scenario training
- Sat June 27 12:00-2:30 107 – includes scenario training
May 17 | ATC @ Minnesota AIDS Walk | 9:00 am
May 15 | Last day to pre-register – According to website it closes at 12am 5/16/15.
May 6, 13, 20, 27 | 6pm – 9pm | S.C.A.
The weekly meeting for Barony of Nordskogen, a chapter of The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization. Held in the Main Hall and Classroom (rooms 107 and 106A) every Wednesday.
May 10, 24 | 3:30pm – 5:30pm | S.C.A. Dance Class
This is a bi-weekly practice for period (historical) dance open to anyone interested. Each meeting will include instruction in techniques and specific dances from different time periods and different countries, such as English, Italian, court, country, etc. All skill levels and ages are welcome and encouraged to join in. Open to the Public.
May 2 | 6:30pm – 11:30pm | D.I.O.D.E.S. May Day Ball
The May Day Ball is coming around again this year, and tickets are now available for purchase. It will be at the Triune Masonic Temple in Saint Paul.
May 5 | 6pm – 9pm | Twin Cities Adobe Users Group
Matthew Ellsworth, Emmy nominated video editor and motion graphics designer, will be teaching a class on Adobe Premiere Pro. He’ll give us an introduction to the program; how to process video from start to end. In addition to being live, this class will be recorded for future viewing! Check out the Meetup for more information and to register. Cost is $5. Room 106A at Event Horizon.
Have you planned your calendar and registered for all of your cons and events yet? Check out the links below:
Submissions for publications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline is the 15th of every month.
If you use Amazon, remember GPS is a member of the Amazon Smile affiliate program. Shop through the GPS Amazon Smile link and Amazon will make a donation to us!